Okay, we went there. We pulled out the pumpkin spice and made this delicious pumpkin bread with it. We also made it skinny so you can feel good about eating it. Less sugar? Check! Less oil? Check! Tons of flavour? Check!
Nutella goes amazingly well with pumpkin, in case you didn’t know. The combination of spice, earthiness from the pumpkin, hazelnuts, and chocolate is absolutely to-die-for. The idea comes from a pumpkin pie we used to make in years gone by that had Nutella swirled into it. It worked with pie and now it works with bread!
This pumpkin bread is really similar in method to the banana breads or zucchini breads that you’ve made in the past, except for the inclusion of pumpkin puree and fall spices. Make sure to buy pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling though! We want to make sure that we have complete control over what’s going into our pumpkin bread.
Another great thing about this bread is that it makes two loaves. So, you can make this recipe and eat a loaf and freeze a loaf, or keep one and pass one along to a friend. Sharing is caring.
No matter who you share it with, the Nutella swirl is sure to put a smile on someone’s face. We can’t think of a yummier way to welcome fall!
Skinny Nutella-Swired Pumpkin Bread
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
4 large eggs
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2/3 cup water
2 cups (400 g) granulated sugar
3 1/2 cups (438 g) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup (120 g) Nutella
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8×4 or 9×5-inch pans with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, applesauce, water, and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Drop your nutella in small dollops evenly over the batter in both the pans. Gently run the tip of a knife through the batter to create a swirl pattern. Less is more here for more defined swirls.
- Transfer the loaf pans to your preheated oven and bake for about 50-55 minutes depending on the size of your pans. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing from the pan and allowing to cool completely on a cooling rack. Enjoy!
Inspired by this recipe.