It feels like it has been raining here endlessly. When you live somewhere like the Pacific Northwest you come to rely heavily on the different distinctions between levels of precipitation. Is it just a shower? Is it sprinkling? Is there light rain? You catch our drift.
Well, it has been full on raining. The forecast seems to alternate between either 100% chance of rain (it was correct) and a 90% chance of rain (this was also correct). We can’t complain too much though since we had a very dry summer!
Since it’s been so gloomy out we decided to bake something that was pure indulgence and fun. We stumbled across some salted caramel chips a little while ago (at Bulk Barn for those of you who live in Canada) and thought that now would be the perfect time to use. When combined with coffee, chocolate chips, and brown sugar they became absolutely divine.
It was tough to figure out a name for these bars. They are not really a blondie and they’re not really a cookie either, but somewhere in between. We stored ours in the fridge because it resulted in a chewy, almost fudge like consistency which we loved.
If you can’t find the salted caramel chips you could easily substitute them with an equal quantity of chocolate chips or butterscotch flavoured chips and come up with a bar as equally delicious. You could also throw in some nuts- pecans or walnuts would be fantastic! These bars are sure to create a little burst of sunshine in anyone’s rainy day!
Salted Caramel Coffee Chocolate Chip Bars
1 1/2 cups (188 g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
12 tablespoons (171 g) salted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (320 g) light brown sugar, packed
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons instant coffee, dissolved in 2 Tbsp. warm water
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup (91 g) chocolate chips
1 cup (178 g) salted caramel chips
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or tinfoil and then spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Add the egg, dissolved instant coffee, and vanilla and stir again until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Then, gently stir in the chocolate chips and salted caramel chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and smooth the top. Transfer the pan to your preheated oven and bake for 18-24 minutes, or until the blondies are golden brown and just beginning to form cracks.
- Place the pan on a wire cooling rack and let cool completely. When ready to serve, remove the parchment paper from the pan and cut into squares. Enjoy!
*We found that storing these in he fridge provided the best texture, but they can also be stored at room temperature.
Inspired by this recipe.